All over America, as procrastinators rush to mail their tax returns, many will be carrying signs of protest at various public places, raising their voices in unity as our founders once did against the tyranny of an oppressive government. It is times like this that really make me proud to be an American. This is what freedom is meant to be!
But please do not mistake civil protests with insurgency or terrorism, because nothing can be further from the truth. Sure there are those that will seek to take advantage of opportunity and media hype thus far has told that FBI warnings to local law enforcement has been in the form of messages to be prepared for violence. I would strongly suggest that those that I know are not amongst those that would consider violence as a means of protest nor would they condone it.
It is a Constitutional civil liberty to protest and file grievances for actions taken by the federal government that is contrary to the limited powers granted by the Constitution and for actions that are deemed so by the legislatures of the many sovereign States.
America declared its independence from a tyrannical government and as far as I know, we have never relinquished that right to any government. If there has been any legislation that came out of the nation’s capital that violates any part of the Constitution, particularly but not limited to those Articles, Sections and Paragraphs, pertaining to the rights reserved for the sovereign States and the people, it must be repealed immediately. Of course that will not happen but it is a possibility to take under advisement.
The Boston Tea Party was about oppressive taxation albeit not with the guise of such benefit for the “under privileged” public that the current legislated health care act professes to be about. Millions of dollars will be used to fund the pork-barrel riders attached to the bill that was bribery for votes. Even the media could not spin that for anything else than what it was.
One of the main differences in our federal republic government that differentiates us from a democracy, is that in our form of government it takes two-thirds of the majority to pass a bill. Simply put, that is to prevent a simple majority say of 51%, forcing the other 49% of the population into compliance with something that clearly is not supported by a majority.
What will the media report about the Tea Party protests tomorrow on the evening news? I am thinking of attending a couple of them to see for myself. If I do, I will be sure to share my experiences.